This recipe is great if you are short on time in the morning. You can make it the night before, leave it in the fridge and the next morning it is ready to eat before you leave the house.
Rhubarb is in season and it is packed full of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to help keep the body healthy. Rhubarb has a high fiber content and as a result is often used in Chinese medicine to relieve constipation and other stomach ailments. Rhubarb also has very high levels of Vitamin k which not only supports healthy bone growth but some research suggests that it may help with the prevention of Alzheimer’s. Among its many health benefits a key one that is often unknown is that rhubarb is a great source of calcium, it is up there with salmon and spinach!
- 30g fresh rhubarb
- 1 orange
- 1/4tsp grated fresh ginger
- 130g jumbo oats
- 50ml of dairy-free yoghurt or plain natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ banana
- 1 tbsp pump[kin seeds
- To make the compote chop the rhubarb and place in a small saucepan with the juice of ½ the orange and the grated ginger. Simmer until the rhubarb is soft, about 15 minutes
- Leave the rhubarb compote to cool
- When the rhubarb is cool add the yoghurt, and stir well. Next add the oats and chia seeds and stir well. If the mixture is too thick add some more yoghurt
- Place the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight
- In the morning remove from the fridge, top with banana, orange slices and pumpkin seeds