These bars are so quick and easy to make and hit the spot when you need a sweet hit. They are similar to a ‘bounty bar’ but without all of the added sugar!
There is lots of conflicting information about coconut oil at the moment, some say it is the best food ever whilst others think it is too early to say whether it lives up to its health claims. Personally, I use coconut in a number of dishes as I believe it is important to have some saturated fat in your diet and I don’t eat butter or red meat so I think it is ok to have a small amount of coconut for saturated fat. Whilst these squares are high in calories they are nutrient dense and I can’t eat more than one of these at a time so it is better than eating a sugar laden snack.
(Makes about 15 depending on size)
- 170g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 100ml coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g 85% dark chocolate
- Place the desiccated coconut in a high-speed blend on the highest setting for 5 minutes
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup to the blender and blitz until well combined, the mixture should stick together when squeezed between your fingers
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and place the mixture into the tin, press the mixture down firmly into the tin
- Place the baking tray into the freezer for about 30 minutes to set
- Once the coconut mixture has set cut it into squares
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water and then dip the coconut squares into the chocolate until covered. Once coated in chocolate return the squares to the grease proof paper lined baking tray
- Place the chocolate covered squares back into the freezer to set. Once they have set place the coconut squares in to an air tight container and store in the freezer