This delicious refined sugar free alternative to strawberry and blueberry jam is packed full of goodness. It is made with just 5 ingredients including fruit, chia seeds and honey, can be made in 5 minutes and lasts for about 6 weeks.
Chia seeds have recently grown in popularity and become one of the top ‘super foods’ as they are packed full of nutrients and are easy to digest when correctly prepared providing a great energy boost.
Aztec warriors ate chia seeds to give them high energy and endurance, it is said that just 1 spoonful of chia could sustain them for 24 hours. Chia means “strength” in the Mayan language.
Chia seed benefits include promoting healthy skin, reducing signs of ageing, supporting the heart and digestive system, building stronger bones and muscles.
To get the best flavour for your jam it is best to use fruits that are in season. This is easy to do in the summer when there is an abundance of berries in season, in the winter I use frozen berries that have been picked in season (either I pick them myself and freeze them or many supermarkets sell frozen berries that have been picked in season).
This jam works with any berries so pick your favourite combination and enjoy.
- 200g strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 200g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice of half a lemon
- Place the berries in a pan with a splash of water and place on a gentle heat until the fruit breaks down in to the texture of a compote
- Add the honey and lemon and stir well
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for about 10 minutes
- Stir in the chia seeds and then transferred to a sterilised glass jar
When the jam is cool store