These vegan fruit scones are super quick and easy to make. Until recently I’d never made scones, and then inspired by a holiday in Scotland I decided to make cheese scones for my toddler. When they came out of the oven they looked and smelled delicious, however, I was unable to eat them due to being lactose intolerant so I decided to play around and came up with these vegan fruit scones.
I tested them on my baby yoga class and at my mini retreat and they went down a treat! I served them with my heathy chia jam and some coconut cream. To make the coconut cream I simply got a can of coconut milk, placed it in the fridge for a couple of hours and then scooped the thick cream off the top of the milk.
These vegan fruit scones have no added sugar they are simply sweetened by the dried fruit and you can use whatever dried fruit you have, raisins, sultanas and apricots work well. This makes them a great snack for toddlers too.
Ingredients for Vegan Fruit Scones:
Makes 14 mini scones
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 40g melted coconut oil
- 140ml almond milk
- 50g dried fruit
- Pre heat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7
- Line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl
- Melt the coconut oil and add to the flour
- Use a spoon to mix the coconut oil into the flour until it has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs
- Add the dried fruit and stir well
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in a little bit of the milk
- Using your hands fold in the milk, keep adding the milk and folding until you have a dough, the dough will be slightly wet
- Place the dough on a chopping board or clean surface that has been dusted with flour
- Knead the dough for a couple of minutes
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is about 2cm thick
- Using a biscuit cutter cut the dough into scones
- Place the cut dough onto the baking trays, leaving enough space between the scones for them to expand
- If you have any dough edges left you can knead them again, roll them out and cut more scones
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe why not check out my other vegan recipes?