I often hear people complaining at this time of year that they are feeling more run down and getting more colds and winter bugs. Because of this I recommend this cold busting broth to my clients as it’s a fantastic way to give your immune system a boost.
It is packed full of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious! My friends often request that I make it when they come to visit.
It can be made with tofu for a vegan version or chicken, if you prefer. Alternatively, I like to make it with left over roast chicken.
The soya sauce can be replaced with tamari to make the dish gluten-free. I recently made this cold busting dish with a large pinch of grated fresh turmeric instead of powder, I love how versatile this dish is.
Cold Busting Broth Ingredients:
- 900ml of vegetable stock (I use reduced salt bouillon powder)
- 220g of firm tofu, cubed or cooked chicken
- 1cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 100g rice noodles
- 1 large handful sweetcorn (frozen or canned)
- 1 large handful frozen peas
- 200g mix of shiitake and button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- Small handful of fresh mint or basil
- Sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Put the stock, ginger, garlic, half the chilli and tofu/chicken into a pan and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the sweetcorn, peas, mushrooms, 2 spring onions, rice noodles and soya sauce. Simmer until the noodles are cooked
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining chilli, spring onion and mint/basil and drizzle a tiny bit of sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds to finish
If you’d like more tailored information on who to support your immune system during the winter months then why not email me for a consultation?